Monday, August 19, 2013

Another Perspective

This post is being simultaneously posted on the St. Paul's Willimantic, CT website at the request of the church. You see, art is not my only concern when it comes to photography. This letter was originally written in support of a grant application for St. Paul's. I present it here as a means to extend the reach of the St. Paul's Ministry in Motion as well as to share an entirely different side of my photography with you. I mean no offense to those of any other faith.
Dear Freinds in Christ,

I came to St. Paul's through the Covenant Soup Kitchen about 3 years ago now. I came because I was so impressed with Rev. Jaci's ministry to us each Wednesday when she visited our meal and asked us individually for our prayer requests. It wasn't a whole long time before I found myself wanting
to go to church again to experience her celebration of the Eucharist. I was still a rather broken person at that time.

As the Catholic Franciscan, Richard Rohr has written, “Human love is largely determined by the attractiveness of the object. When someone is nice, good, not “high maintenance,” attractive physically, important, or has a nice personality, we find it much easier to give ourselves to them or to “like” them. That’s just the way we humans operate.”

Those of us in the soup kitchen are a long way from most aspects of attractiveness, yet Rev. Jaci supersedes human love in the way she brings God's love to us in the soup kitchen community – and others from the fringes of our society who knock on her office door.

Rev. Jaci's sermons proved to be among the best I have ever heard – full, as she is, of down to earthness but clearly delivering the Gospel message. It made me want to begin going – ever so cautiously at first – to the mid day Wednesday prayer service. This, too, was unlike anything I had ever experienced in a local parish. But it is her once a month healing services which show that transcendent love I mentioned above. Take a look for yourself as she happens to be praying with, and for, some members of the soup kitchen:
Rev. Jaci looks us in the eyes (here as part of the monthly healing service) just as our youngest parishioners do...

...and prays deeply with us all.
For me, the Episcopal Church was not, however, an unknown as it has been for many in the soup kitchen family. Indeed, I once was the Communications Officer of the Diocese of Connecticut. In fact, my very first out of the office local visit was AT this same soup kitchen when it was in its infancy of mission and ministry.

Life happened, though. I have spent the last 20 years on Social Security Disability for mental health issues.

Shortly before I began to attend St. Paul's I was in the process of ever so slowly recovering my passion for photography, but I pursued it as a hobby only because I didn't believe any more than that was possible. Ever so gingerly, I shared a few poorly printed photos with those who attended the Wednesday service. Rev. Jaci was among those who strongly encouraged me to pursue this God given talent, a talent I didn't even know I had. Up until then, only close family and friends, plus a small gathering of folks from the soup kitchen, had seen my work. It really surprised me that even those few folks from the kitchen – or the cafe, as some of us call it – said that they would consider paying $10 for one of my photos. But the Wednesday prayer warriors liked the photos, too!!! I didn't understand why, though. Under Rev. Jaci's spiritual leadership, this group encouraged me not only to put my photos on the church website, but also to begin using my long dormant professional skills for the good of the parish. Everyone persisted despite my kicking and screaming.

Because of this, my life has changed immensely and I finally have a faith community in which I feel comfortable enough to just be the person God made me. I have even been granted what I came to call soul esteem. I told Rev. Jaci that I thought that was what each one of the folks in the soup kitchen is in need of. She immediately connected to this turn of phrase and has more than made it her own – through her service in worship and beyond.
Rev. Jaci uses everyone's talents in the service of the Word to reach as many senses as possible. These present both a dramatic performance and paintings all in the same service:

But most of all, she brings us ALL the love of Christ – in much the same way that HE brought it to us – where we are hurt, and broken, and she seeks to make us whole through the Love of God!




Today, while I don't always go to church on Sundays, I do stay involved in the ministry of the church from behind the scenes. I still eat at the soup kitchen, only not quite so much as I used to. We are a community and I see no need to sever my ties with it. I frequently feel like a fish out of water in both the soup kitchen and the parish. But that is one of the things that makes St. Paul's what it is – a family of individuals – all children in Christ – bound together in Christ despite all our idiosyncrasies.

I would now like to appeal to you to help us in our efforts to secure the funding necessary to extend Rev. Jaci's ministry week on behalf of the parish and its Ministry in Motion – taking the love of Christ to all who feel unwelcomed and unloved by most of the other areas of our society so that they may know the love of God in their lives and come to share in the soul esteem that makes it possible to praise God through the gifts He has given to each of us.

Thank you.



God's peace,

Jean Ann Henderson

If YOU would like to contribute to help add a third day to the part time ministry of Rev. Jaci, you may do so by sending your contribution to St. Paul's Epsicopal Church, 220 Valley St., Willimantic, CT 06226. It is, of course, tax deductible.
PS: St. Paul's no longer even owns the beautiful stone structure that is home to our services -- we rent it now -- so you can be certain that all of your donation will go where it is intended and will even be matched by other sources.

2 comments:

  1. A wonderful look inside your life, who you have become and the lives of those who've touched, and been touched by you. May the blessings continue to multiply in all of your lives !

    ReplyDelete