Sunday, June 11, 2017

"Raindrops on Iris"

Hello Everyone!
Spring has been unusually rainy here in Connecticut. It wasn't just "April showers bring May flowers" but also "May showers ruin those flowers!"
I've noticed, in the last several years, that I am drawn to flowers that surrounded my parents' home when I was growing up. There, we had more iris than anything else -- and most of them had purple in them if they weren't completely one shade of purple or another. I loved them as a child and I appreciate them even more as a senior adult.
Lately I have been asking myself the general question of why am I so attracted to shooting flowers? Unlike the well known flower photographer, Kathleen Clemons, (who just happens to live in my beloved home State of Maine!), I don't start out to make portraits of the flowers I shoot.
Well, of course, I am attracted to flowers because of their natural beauty, but it is more than that. The blooms I shoot are at the height of their lives! They are, in Abraham Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs, self-actualized. They are all they possibly can be at that point.
Yet there is more. Flowers attract me also because they imply the cycle of life. I have long thought about shooting flowers in the various states of their decay -- which would much more clearly demonstrate my interest in that part of reality, too. Will I do it? I am not yet sure.
While I try to figure that out, I invite you to enjoy the raindrop covered purple iris below. Be sure to click on the image to see its detail more clearly.
Raindrops on Iris
For more images, be sure to visit my website: jeanhendersonart.com

Please share this post with 2 friends who might appreciate my work. Many thanks for doing so!

No comments:

Post a Comment